Bridging design and development teams across industries, bringing stories to life with technology. From building visualizations for tracking state-sponsored hackers for F500 companies to developing digital experiences for brands and creators, we focus on telling compelling stories with real data and technology. Working with clients like Google, Nike, Bank of America and others, our work has appeared in IT departments in government, finance, and healthcare; as well as publicly at New York Fashion Week, in galleries, and at conferences.
- Sparks, Director, Creative Technology, Ongoing
Working with global technology clients such as Google, Salesforce, T-Mobile, eBay, Waymo, Zoom and others on events, websites, and permanent installations. Focused on outlining and defining technical requirements for software development, prototyping experiences, integrating software with client products, building APIs and front end code, and helping to lead and produce developers and 3D designers. Experience prototyping machine learning experiences, building APIs and design development of immersive and physical front end interfaces.
Worked with leadership, clients, IT, and legal to navigate security reviews -- managing PII, documenting system architecture, and defining application requirements and data retention policies.
Implemented quick solutions using databases and data stores of various flavors, distributed computing with publisher/subscriber architectures, kubernetes, and custom machine learning with tensorflow, Google AutoML, and Google ML Engine.
- Impractical Applications, 2014-2018
Freelance software development and web design practice, working on web projects for clients around Los Angeles. From e-commerce to non-profits, fashion brands and web companies -- focus on building user-focused web experiences with a variety of technologies.
- Area 1 Security, Product Design Engineer, 2015-2016
Researching and designing user experience and product interfaces for network security applications for government and Fortune 500 companies. Focused on preventing highly targeted social engineering campaigns, worked with engineers and security experts to design and visualize event data at petabyte scale, creating usable solutions based on customer feedback. Developed weekly attack summary email visualization (tables, baby), helped overhaul internal dashboards, and worked on product UX. Also developed transactional marketing emails, designed transmedia collateral for anything and everything, and sourced production for the design team.
- ImpracticalApplications, Founder, ongoing
- KDI, Front End Developer, 2018
- Nike x NYFW, Front End Developer, 2017
- Cargo Collective, Front End Developer, 2016
- Woven.is for Rebeca Mendez Studio, Front End Developer, 2016
- Arthritis Foundation / designmatters, Book Designer, 2014
- LA DeTour, Freelance Designer, 2014
- New Materials / Jet Propuslion Laboratory, Freelance Designer, 2014
- Extreme Wearables Hackathon, Designer, 2014
- Fabrica, Visual Communications Designer, 2013
- RARE Studio, Freelance Designer, 2013
- The Weekly Dig, Photographer, 2009 - 2010
- The Boston Phoenix, Photography Intern, 2009 - 2010
- Liberty in North Korea, Photographer, 2009
- WiFi_cLAN featured in #nfcdab2018 touring biennale, Trondheim, NO and elsewhere 2018
- "Coast to Coast" featured in 9to5.tv gallery 2017
- CoLED Conf workshop leader at The UC Collaboratory for Ethnographic Design 2016
- iGEM Synthetic Biology Art & Design competition winner 2014
- Yerba Buena Center for the Arts & IFTF group exhibition “Open City / Open Art” 2014
- E-misférica Hemispheric Institute of Performance and Politics publication “Fuck Rationality” 2014
- ABC 7 LA feature “Technology Experiments” 2014
- htxt.africa feature “The (Offbeat) Future of Wearables” 2014
- LA Times feature “Beyond Google Glass“ 2014
- SCPR feature “5 cool ‘wearable’ prototypes that might be the next Google Glass” 2014
- “MALWAReABLES” featured Intel ISEF project & press conference 2014
- Fabrica research grant recipient 2013
- LA River Revitalization Corporation “Bike-In Theater” video feature 2013
- Art Center College of Design portfolio scholarship 2012
- Newbury Street Gallery group exhibition “HERE AND NOW” 2012
- Workaway six months in France, learning small scale organic farming and French cooking 2011
- representative in Lesley University student government 2011
- “Taking In” LUCAD photo department publication reject (it’s a good story) 2010
- Lesley University College of Art and Design portfolio scholarship 2009
- High adventure canoed ~200mi of Colorado River 2006-2009
- Nationally distributed music records; Finish Him - “Thin Ice” and Creatures - “Creatures” 2005-2008
- Bank of America national photography award 2008
- Eagle Scout honor 2008
- Art Center College of Design, Pasadena, CA ; MFA, 2015
Masters of Fine Arts, Media Design. Working in an area of interdisciplinary problem-solving at the intersection of art, design, engineering, and science. Assignments focus on rigorous conceptual development and finding ways to visually communicate and represent intangible and future-oriented speculative ideas across mediums and forms. Projects develop rapidly at a real-world pace and emphasis is placed on rapid prototyping of concepts.
- Lesley University College of Art and Design, Boston, MA ; BFA, 2011
Bachelors of Fine Arts, Photography, with a focus on graphic design. Planned and executed rigorous senior thesis portfolio, showed work in three gallery exhibitions, numerous club activities, volleyball, dance, student government. Worked closely with the graphic design department chair to create a publication of photographs and essays titled “HERE AND NOW.”
- Art Center at Night, Pasadena, CA ; Intro to Graphic Design, 2012
- Bunker Hill Community College, Boston, MA ; French + Marketing, 2011